The objective of Pharmaxis' drug discovery program is to have at least one new drug candidate each year complete formal pre-clinical testing and be phase 1 ready.
Pharmaxis is targeting the following inflammatory and fibrotic diseases using its amine oxidase platform:
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Liver fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Kidney fibrosis
- Cardiac fibrosis
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Cancers with fibrotic components including myelofibrosis and pancreatic cancer
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
Pharmaxis aims to improve success rates, minimise drug discovery costs and speed up development timelines by focusing on targets that have been independently validated in diseases with limited treatment options and where its amine oxidase platform can be utilised.
Amine oxidase drug development programs currently being investigated by Pharmaxis include:
- Selective LOXL2 inhibitor for NASH, lung, liver and kidney fibrosis (in phase 1 trials - collaborating with Synairgen plc)
- LOX inhibitor: scarring (lead candidate optimisation), cancer (preclinical development)
- SSAO/MPO combination for inflammation (preclinical development)