The objective of Pharmaxis' drug discovery program is to have at least one new drug candidate each year complete formal pre-clinical testing and be phase 1 ready.
Pharmaxis is targeting the following inflammatory and fibrotic diseases using its amine oxidase platform:
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Liver fibrosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis, COPD
Other diseases involving inflammation and fibrosis of interest:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Kidney fibrosis
Pharmaxis aims to improve success rates, keep drug discovery costs down and speed up development timelines by focusing on drug targets that have been independently validated in diseases with limited treatment options and where its amine oxidase platform can be utilised.
Amine oxidase drug development programs currently being investigated by Pharmaxis include:
- Selective LOXL2 inhibitor for pulmonary fibrosis (lead optimisation – collaborating with Synairgen plc)
- Selective LOXL2 inhibitor for NASH, liver and kidney fibrosis (lead optimisation)
- Mixed LOXL/LOXL2 inhibitor: cancer; severe liver and kidney fibrosis (exploratory)
- SSAO/MAO-B inhibitor for neuro inflammation (lead candidate)
- SSAO combination for lung inflammation (exploratory)