Orbital® Dry Powder Inhaler
Orbital® Dry Powder Inhaler (DPI) convenient delivery of high drug doses to the lungs.
The Orbital DPI is designed to deliver high-doses of drugs to the respiratory tract from a single dosing unit via sequential inhalations by the user. It is currently designed as a disposable DPI, eliminating the risk of re-infection for chronic users.
Key features of Orbital:
- Orbital is a unique dry powder inhaler (DPI) capable of delivering a total powder dose from 50mg of up to several hundreds of milligrams in a series of sequential inhalations.
- Orbital houses the powder within a dosing chamber; metering of powder is a function of chamber design and airflow.
- Orbital is compact, discrete and disposable, with one touch deployment prior to use.
- Low component count, low cost
- Orbital has a flexible and customisable delivery engine with the potential for many inhaled applications with various dry powder formulations. Performance is tuneable and reproducible depending on powder characteristics
- Two patent families granted, further pending.
A Phase 1 trial demonstrated that large amounts of dry powder (up to 118mg) could be administered to healthy subjects in one inhalation without compromising safety or tolerability.
The Orbital DPI is at prototype development stage; ready for customisation/human factor studies.
In November 2016 Pharmaxis announced a research collaboration with Sydney’s prestigious Woolcock Institute of Medical Research to develop a novel inhalation therapy for the treatment of cystic fibrosis (CF). The project brings together the acknowledged expertise of the Woolcock Institute and Pharmaxis in the field of cystic fibrosis. The ability to deliver antibiotics locally, using the Orbital device overcomes a number of challenges that are experienced in the clinic, and the clinical trial is likely to pave the way to better health outcomes and quality of life. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has awarded a research grant in support of the research collaboration. Pharmaxis is currently seeking a partner to complete the development of Orbital.